Search This Blog

This is the on going record of my adventures travelling across the US to Jerome, Arizona, and my 2 month stay down there! A pilgrimage of sorts into revisiting and expanding my creativity! Why Jerome? In 2006 Rae and I came across Jerome by accident in the night driving on a crazy 158 S curve road over Mingus mountain to get to Sedona; went back to check it out the next day to explore it and I started crying standing in an art gallery there because I felt "at home".

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Oct 3; Kanab to Jerome!









  1. Kanab; I wake up to appreciate the fine place I landed in; Kanab and this part of Utah is one of the core areas for filming the Wild West movies. And where did all the stars and producers stay, eat & film??? …why… at the Parry Lodge! I stock up on fresh ice and pack up my gear & bike; I see the road where I was almost hit by a car as I parked in the night- I didn`t see that the hotel was right beside a side road; I thought I was on hotel property. ( yes an angel has my back) When I check out I look at all the photos of the stars: John Wayne, Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, Roy & Dale Rogers, George Hamilton and Buddy Ebson to name a few.
  2. The Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park; The check-out clerk tells me its worth driving back 23 miles north to go see this place…so I listen to the locals and am I glad I did!! HUGE GIANT dunes …a large area of sand in behind a canyon. I take off my sandals and climb the highest dune…it’s a great workout climbing in earth that keeps moving away from you! I take videos of walking across the top of the dune .I love watching the movement of the sand around my feet & down the dune as I walk….but wait has the sun gotten to my eyes? - there’s diagnol shadows across the screenno-and my shutter gets stuck halfway because of sand in there…fortunately it becomes unstuck and I’m good to go! SNAP HAPPY ME!! I have taken hundreds of photos--it’s damn hard finding the essence of each day for this blog
  3. HWY 89 east- time to hit the highway …no more stopping! ( ha!) Matilda tells me its another 4 hour drive…I finally smarten up though- she’s telling me the next turn-off is in 4 hours ..that’s Flagstaff. Its interesting to see what survives this dry climate; grasses- yucca plant-sage…yellow flowers.
  4. Pink Cliffs, White Cliffs, Vermillion Cliffs: yes...those are the actual names of the mountains in that area...See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Cliffs Just when I think I`ve experienced spectacular vistas …they get even more spectacular!! Driving down the highway towards Page has me blown away- these colored cliffs are gorgeous! - AND the blue SKY with cool puffs of clouds --with the ever long ribbon of highway in front of me…love it!
  5. Lake Powell ; shortly after crossing the Arizona border (yah - getting closer!) around a bend and see this delicious turquoise HUGE Lake --- drum role…“gorgeous!” I find out later this is a man-made Lake much to the chagrin of the locals. I have a book in my apartment by, Katie Lee, a river runner of Glen Canyon before the water of the Colorado River was shut off at the Glen Canyon Dam and created this Lake Powell. Katie Lee lives in Jerome and is turning 90 on Oct 23...there’s a surprise planned for her at 8am that I will write about later ( wink-wink-nudge-nudge!!)
  6. Glen Canyon Dam; stopped here to check out the heights of this dam and bridge-breathtaking!!!
  7. Navajo Tribal Lands: after the Dam and the town of Page on the other side I drove on flat land knowing that I was near the edge of the canyon …saw dirt roads leading to it and I wondered if this is where they filmed the Thelma and Louise movie where they drove off the cliff. And then the road turns a slow downward curve …onto the edge of the canyon: and oh my lord! Drum roll please…
”SPECTACULAR” ~ OPEN ~ GIANT VISTA!!!
to more canyons below….
the land beyond where the Grand Canyon lies off in the distance…
SO HUGE …
We have no idea in our little Ontario how BIG the landscape can be.

Some Navajo Indians have set up tables in the blowing wind to sell their jewellery wares of turquoise and silver. I buy a necklace from ‘Mary’ after bartering the price down to $35 from 40.
8. Flagstone at Sunset; I log onto my laptop at the Safeway grocery store parking lot after the gas attendant checked my oil and gave me that tip. I find my landlord, Lisa’s address and number and call her up: “Great! We are on the Jerome Art Walk ~ call us when you`re in town..you are about an hour away!”
9. Jerome; After speeding down Hwy 17, a 4 lane highway, DOWNHILL, truck braking / gearing down warning signs all the way, bypassing Sedona and all the scenic towns on the way in the dark by moonlight; I turn off at Camp Verde and cross west again to Cottonwood and find the turnoff that goes uphill!! I am so excited I call Rae! He’s on his way to 230 on the 5th in NYC with the other coaches! I drive up the winding road wondering where my home away from home is... and land in the village, parking right opposite the Mile High Grill. I have their best Tequilla Margarita and a chicken Quesadilla, with homemade salsa--ahhhh! Yes, time to celebrate! Lisa and Anne, her partner and their friends walk in and join me. We have a great evening before Lisa and Ann drive me ‘home’…..down the hill to the 15miles/hour corner and then turn left up a small long gravel driveway running up the hill again…to the place at 987 Gulch School Road. I don’t unpack…just thank the ladies, bid good-bye and go to bed in my oh so cozy bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
I love exploring Creativity and what it makes possible. My business, Flourish Arts, is a natural expression of this. I have a Bachelor of Fine Art Degree from Queen's University.I'm a Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Artist, and Certified Yoga Teacher. Creativity has always been part of everything I have taken on. My journey as a full time Artist is now possible and I am passionate in sharing my art with others and having people - adults & children ~ find their own creative self-expression!