Search This Blog

This is the on going record of my adventures travelling across the US to Jerome, Arizona, and my 2 month stay down there! A pilgrimage of sorts into revisiting and expanding my creativity! Why Jerome? In 2006 Rae and I came across Jerome by accident in the night driving on a crazy 158 S curve road over Mingus mountain to get to Sedona; went back to check it out the next day to explore it and I started crying standing in an art gallery there because I felt "at home".

Thursday, October 1, 2009

OCt 1- Salt Lake City-taking a breather








Breakfast: Waffle with pecans, bananas and whipped cream ...and bacon. Yes the works! AND I LOVED it! Met a nice couple from Arizona who are here for 2 nights..
I decide to stay for 2 nights as well for a break in the constant travel mode and get spoiled & pampered in this place :-)
Noon: An organ recital in the Morman Tabernacle church- the acoustics were exquisite- the music inspiring! The music filled me up!
Temple Square ( just down the street from the B&B); is HUGE & busy with weddings; to the left in the door of main temple is a bride, dressed in a gold suit, kissing her groom surrounded by cameras; to the right ~a wedding party is having photos taken at the fountain. In the middIle ~ I'm getting directions from Glen, dressed in red satin vest, on his way to his bro's wedding! People are busy preparing for the " Fall Conference" for the Mormon church is this weekend.
Visited 4 Art Galleries; so great to immerse myself - each one a different experience
1. Salt Lake Art Center; www.slartcenter.org > two shows:
  • Harmed is about loss: moral, financial and perhaps most disheartening, loss of faith in the corporate world.
  • ALL AMERICAN: DEFINING OURSELVES IN A TIME OF CHANGE; a very powerful contemporary show- critical and moving works about their society.
As I leave the gallery; i muse how appropriate both shows were for my journey.

2. Pam, owner of the UTah ArtistHands gallery was very excited about my journey; pulled out a map to show a cool route to get to Flagstaff ; also offered to give me connections to her artists near Jerome that she knows

3. An Antique store; stuffed to the brim with paintings -old landscapes & portraits cracked oil paint finishes ...many historical paintings of the US hung amongst the huge variety of funky antique furniture & decorative pieces,,,owner is grumpy old man.
Note...while walking to this next gallery I came upon a Violin making school- full of young people hard at work with the Master! Cool!
4. Phillips- www.phillips-gallery.com I was enjoying the artwork of two very different painters when a Mother and daughter came into the Gallery; we spoke and I asked the girl which were her favourites...does she like art; Mother says, "oh, no,,,I'm not going to encourage her...I don't want her to be an artist - there's no money in that" That story is exactly why I am only now following my dream to paint, choosing other things to make money I end up talking to the director of the Gallery and she is actually one of the 2 artists showing in the current exhibition; she was encouraging me to do just what I am doing - have conversations with gallery owners & artists
These folks also were involved with The Golden Rule project; www.goldenruleproject.org
Next door I bought art supplies; frames for stretching my canvas ( still from Queen's days), gesso, HUGE sketch pads and a new brush.

Dinner: Eat at the Oasis Cafe after 6 mile walk: the "BLOCKS" are huge here. The best meal on my whole trip: Baked Salmon, with red sticky rice, a beet medley, and Asian coleslaw....with a glass of white wine. It was 5pm and the waiter looked at his watch when I added the order for the wine :-)

Evening: Back to the B&B to nap...and later pull myself away to
8pm Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Thursday practice- brings me back to my choir practice evenings and what it takes to make the sound so pure & inspiring! ...when they put it all together...MAGIC!
Late: night of downloading photos and connecting on the Internet at my desk overlooking State Street with the fireplace on....another Divine sleep at the Inn on the Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
I love exploring Creativity and what it makes possible. My business, Flourish Arts, is a natural expression of this. I have a Bachelor of Fine Art Degree from Queen's University.I'm a Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Artist, and Certified Yoga Teacher. Creativity has always been part of everything I have taken on. My journey as a full time Artist is now possible and I am passionate in sharing my art with others and having people - adults & children ~ find their own creative self-expression!