Search This Blog

This is the on going record of my adventures travelling across the US to Jerome, Arizona, and my 2 month stay down there! A pilgrimage of sorts into revisiting and expanding my creativity! Why Jerome? In 2006 Rae and I came across Jerome by accident in the night driving on a crazy 158 S curve road over Mingus mountain to get to Sedona; went back to check it out the next day to explore it and I started crying standing in an art gallery there because I felt "at home".

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Oct 2; Salt Lake City to Kanab, Utah







Salt Lake City;

I have an early breakfast and leave this cozy Inn On the Hill B&B. New Ice for the cooler and off to the Oasis Cafe for a Special Mocha Latte & buy a talking book for the road trip at the neighboring book store. Some one was getting a Taro card reading whilst I was in there. I hit the Why 17 for a fast speedy drive south! Mountains to the left of - plains to the right...and Vegas is only 242 miles away!

Cove Fort; Drive off for gas and time for some back roading!


  1. Fremont Indian State Park & Museum; I pulled off here to take a walk along a trail beside rock outcrops that had numerous Petroglyphs on them...most incised in the rock, through the red 'stain' on the rocks surface to reveal a lighter cream colored rock underneath which gave the image. Fremont Indians were agriculturalists who lived from about A.D. 400 to 1300. Here I am in 2009 looking at this art created so long ago..now that's a different kind of gallery! What tales these symobls tell ...it would be cool to time travel to know more. There's more details and photos on this link to the park: http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/fremont/museum

  2. Drive down the 89Hwy --hardly another soul on there! A few motorcyclists..stop at a stream & dip my toes in; its a cloudy light blue colour AND COLD! An interesting paw print on the waters edge...5 distinct fingers and pretty big ( will have to investigate)

  3. The landscape is mountainous but more arrid....I come across a dead dear at the side of the road (2nd one on this trip) I stop and take a photo and give a blessing to this poor animal.

  4. Then the valley stretches out into plains - endless road and sky and plains and mountains on either side-Arrid browns, purple blues and grays and warm beiges... first just tumble weed and sage bushes and then grasslands with horses and cattle.

  5. Bryce Canyon; OH MY GOSH! This was a spectacular surprise scene and experience-suddenly there are a few red rock out crops ...a curvy road into the park; a 25$ entrance fee...a warning sign to keep children away from the edge!!...and a trail to the edge of ...a most spacious peach colored canyon full of interesting sandy rock outcrops - AND HIGH. I'm there an hour before sunset ~ perfect timing. I venture down a path to get away from the crowds-yes-this is where everyone was! I find a spot and soak it all in. A crow perched itself just above me on the ledge of the cliff- for quite some time...cawed and then swooped down into the canyon. Gradually the moon became more noticeable; the air got colder and the sun hit the far away canyon tops; the warm yellow contrast, the dark orange canyon in the shadow of the setting sun with the deepening purple blue sky was gorgeous!

  6. Kanab, UT; Parry Lodge 1 .5hrs later... after: checking out lodging in Bryce Canyon park(199$), the hotels outside of the park(Full or questionable); drove into a camp ground ..but chickened out; and then 1/2 hr north of Kanab, driving over something that freaked me out! A truck that had sped passed me was hit by a deer and I drove over their grill. Thank god I was driving slower - there were warning signs. The moon was so bright I could see the canyon walls on either side of the road in the moonlight...then just as tiredness hit, I came across the historical Parry Lodge! Cozy older place and perfect to rest. http://www.parrylodge.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
I love exploring Creativity and what it makes possible. My business, Flourish Arts, is a natural expression of this. I have a Bachelor of Fine Art Degree from Queen's University.I'm a Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Artist, and Certified Yoga Teacher. Creativity has always been part of everything I have taken on. My journey as a full time Artist is now possible and I am passionate in sharing my art with others and having people - adults & children ~ find their own creative self-expression!