Search This Blog

This is the on going record of my adventures travelling across the US to Jerome, Arizona, and my 2 month stay down there! A pilgrimage of sorts into revisiting and expanding my creativity! Why Jerome? In 2006 Rae and I came across Jerome by accident in the night driving on a crazy 158 S curve road over Mingus mountain to get to Sedona; went back to check it out the next day to explore it and I started crying standing in an art gallery there because I felt "at home".

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 8; Boulder to Estes Park





Boulder; Mon; Sept 28th ( Rae's Birthday)
  • Boulder Canyon Creek path; i go on early bike ride and see university students riding to school, joggers and then on the tail end, kids skateboarding and scootering off to school. I do some yoga on the bridge over a trout pond.
  • I come across the Dushanbe Tea House.....they are open! ...time to treat myself to a pot of Dragon tea and breakfast ( yummy omelet with salmon!) - gorgeous carvings, paintings and sculptured plaster inlays...etc. all brought over in 200 crates from Tajikistan( Boulder's sister city), put together with Tajik craftsmen. www.boulderteahouse.com
  • Pearl St; this street is closed off to cars, instead filled with trees and fountains; I visit the commercial art galleries because The Museum of Contemporary Art and the Rembrandt House are closed :-( I also buy myself an paring knife- yeah! and get info on the route to Salt Lake city after Rae encourages me to go for it now that I'm out this far.
  • Hwy 34; I head out on this cool smaller hiway after being given many opinions on the best route; ...am I glad i did! Driving to cool tunes of Bonnie Rait CD
WOW ! huge gorgeous valley/lake area- Rocky mountain town
  • I stopped to see the elk on the golf course; one massive Bighorn was herding his 'harem' and young ones and is "bugling", bellowing out to his competition.
  • I talk to the elderly woman who owns the local bookstore about her window display of banned books in America...all well known books we've studied in school; To Kill a Mocking Bird, Catcher in the Rye, Joy Luck Club..
  • the man in the Outdoor store advises me against camping when I want to buy puptent- now that its offseason. Tells me about the YMCA Lodge up on the mountain.
I love talking to the locals ....
YMCA of the Rockies; I'm the only person in the lodge I stay in. Lots of kids and families elsewhere...this is an inspiring huge place; big massive log cabins. The sculpture in the photograph is from their Centenary in 2007. I have black bean soup / tortilla chips and salsa & cheddar cheese for dinner. Talk to Jennifer and Rae. Fall fast asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
I love exploring Creativity and what it makes possible. My business, Flourish Arts, is a natural expression of this. I have a Bachelor of Fine Art Degree from Queen's University.I'm a Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Artist, and Certified Yoga Teacher. Creativity has always been part of everything I have taken on. My journey as a full time Artist is now possible and I am passionate in sharing my art with others and having people - adults & children ~ find their own creative self-expression!