Search This Blog

This is the on going record of my adventures travelling across the US to Jerome, Arizona, and my 2 month stay down there! A pilgrimage of sorts into revisiting and expanding my creativity! Why Jerome? In 2006 Rae and I came across Jerome by accident in the night driving on a crazy 158 S curve road over Mingus mountain to get to Sedona; went back to check it out the next day to explore it and I started crying standing in an art gallery there because I felt "at home".

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Nov8 -Nov 13 Time is FUN & Flyin` by!!


























Nov 8th- Sunday;

Safeway Parking lot; gorgeous sunny morning; and I am missing my sisters! So I drive down early to Safeway to Skype call with my sisters to catch them at their Sunday morning coffee. Ena was just about to have a family breakfast with pancakes that Hannah made by the bonfire in the backyard...how cozy. I get family updates and on how serious H1N1 virus is in Ontario. And then Christine who just came back from the gym is busy with writing report cards these days...oh it was so great to connect with them again!

Mile High Grill for breakfast to finish blogging and notice Joanne and Buddy outside of the tourist office so I walk down to chat with them...it is so great to see these folks. Finally checked out Buddy's Biker shop so I bought a biker patch for Karen upstairs from Buddy's BIker shop: "Drive like you stole it!" as a gift to help overcome her fear of bike riding after a slight spill. Some cool other stuff in there and I need to find out if Bruce, My brother in law still rides his bike!

Jerome Public Library; a quiet afternoon with only Richard, the volunteer librarian and a father and his oh-so-cute 2 and 1/2 year old daughter were there. She was playing in the children’s corner on the kiddie computer calling out to her Dad every now and then in the sweetest voice. I sure miss our dear Alexia! RIchard tells me that there’s a great band at....

Paul and Jerry’s Saloon that I should see before they close down...i drive down and find a much quieter laid back bar with a few locals listening to this cool rock/indie band of 4 musicians called Dirty Lingo. I meet one person I know; Walter, who’s wife, Lisa, is still at work down the street. The bartender makes me what she swears if the BEST Margarita in town. It certainly is the cheapest yet at 4$! While I enjoy my drink I sketch the lead singer in the back of my Simple Abundance book and take photographs. and buy their CD. The keyboard player starts playing an electronic cello and I just can’t help myself …. I get up to dance !! and then go home.

Nov-9 Monday; Catch-up and Connect Day

· I go to call friends on Skype and find I have to buy more phone minutes…look for my wallet….not in my purse….retrace my steps…oh dear..left it at Paul & Jerrys!!! LUCKILY they were open ..chairs on the tables …LUCKILY my red wallet was still sitting where I left it …camouflaged in the shadows of the red leather seat. Even the cleaners missed it. WHEW…Christine is right; I do have an angel looking over my shoulder! I run about town doing errands and don’t remember what else…go to the gym

· poker night.- lost again; but so many laughs..Penny won tonight...she needs to be a stand-up comedian...my cheeks hurt after awhile

Nov-10 Tuesday;

  • Hiking again…only this time looonnger, on hilly terrain and in high heat! It was test for our endurance today because usually we have a ½ hour lunch pit-stop; this time we barrelled through and had a very nice lunch at the end instead so we could relax and socialize in Sedona. Lunch never tasted so good sitting down in that restaurant amongst famished friends.
  • Jill invited me to spend Thanksgiving with her in Albuquerque!!..how thrilling!!..and I am really honoured that I will be able to join Jill and her friends and family for taking part in that tradition.

Nov-11 Wednesday,

· workout at the gym for the step class, which was challenging for keeping focussed on the instructions so I didn’t fall over my own two feet!! And then a really great yoga class after; Denise knows her stuff and was very in tune with her students…also gave great alignment instructions to keep the integrity in the poses. Ahh….felt right at home.

· Larry’s antique store ~ “just to quickly pop by”, I said to myself. 2 hours later; taking pictures of many of the cool corners and stuff outside…saddles, cowboy boots; teacups ~ YES… I bought another one after Larry showed me some special ones in a locked glass case- it’s a black & gold Bavarian cup and saucer and includes a plate. I also found a little something to take to the Thanksgiving table in Albuquerque. NOTE PAPA—I SAW LOTS OF ANVILS AND FORGES!!

· Orion Bakery Cafe in Old Cottonwood for a sandwich and blogging Crash, who works at the gym suggested I pop by some time and promised me a great sandwich...he made good on his promise: I had a delicious turkey / veggie sandwich with chipotle mayo - pow!

Jerona Café, after hours --but they have a plug on the outside patio so I can join the Mother Night Seminar session; they had audio issues and I will have to listen to the download later some time.

Nov-12 Thursday; prep day

AM; I cook for the next week all morning - lentil soup, chilli, hummus and waldorf salad with beets, celery, apple and ginger...and a new trail mix( my 1st jar lasted me 1 month)....all good things to have on hand for travelling and eating on the run!

I buy eggs from Peggy...she saved them since yesterday. Some tourist, that worked for a local egg producer saw her sign and was vying for them as he appreciates ‘home-raised’ eggs.

Jerome Public Library; for some online research for my plans for the next few weeks; JIL Ink Studio in New River ; finalize plans with Jodi; Phoenix –I really should go there before the printmaking stint and make a weekend of it; and my drive home via Santa Fe and Albuquerque….and how to drive home from there. I email Betsy in Phoenix who I met last year in Sedona to see if she is around.

Eve; I end the day working on the images for the printmaking workshop...and finish another pastel.

Nov-13 Friday; RAIN STORM – cozy day…not unlucky at all J

· ...wake up to the drips on the porch overhang...I race up to cover up the chairs I had left out for Jet with plastic and move them close into the house under the overhang. The chairs in my apartment were from the Mile High Grill ( I didn’t even notice!) and needed up in the restaurant to replace some damaged chairs.

· I spend the morning taking photos of the changing sky and hill shots..some beautiful dramatic contrasts and then spend the afternoon working on pastels and photos and drinking afternoon tea from my 'new' old cup.

· Meditation class that night taught by Denise, the yoga teacher at Everybody’s Workout Gym that I attend.…very inspiring and peaceful- focussed on base chakra…‘Woman’ ; her husband is a cool dude with long greying hair and cowboy hat; they introduce me to their horses before I drive home. They moved here from Brooklyn New York and bought this cool ranch alongside the Verde River. After we have a pot-luck dinner with everyone…a cool house with wood beams everywhere and an entrance area built around a huge fig tree ~ wish I took a photo of that!

· drive by the Spirit room---folk couple playing...it`s not the busy tonight. I have a cup of tea and call Rae while I am waiting for the next set…only there is no next set….finding this out after waiting patiently for them to finish having their break with their friends at a side table.

· I log on to email on sidewalk beside Connor Hotel and see Betsy's response that she would be happy to meet me for dinner in Phoenix …cool!

> decide to drive down to Phoenix after all > book a room on Hotwire.com at the downtown Radisson

> write down all the addresses for the art galleries in Scottsdale and the Phoenix Art Gallery so Matilda can guide me there

> email Betsy and Jodi finalizing our visits this weekend and.... head down the hill FREEZING --- BRRrrr!!

> boil some porridge & eggs for my road food while I pack and hit the hay!

> do some quick sketches of the meditation experience and fall asleep with the pastel smudges on the sheets...oh-oh...

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
I love exploring Creativity and what it makes possible. My business, Flourish Arts, is a natural expression of this. I have a Bachelor of Fine Art Degree from Queen's University.I'm a Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Artist, and Certified Yoga Teacher. Creativity has always been part of everything I have taken on. My journey as a full time Artist is now possible and I am passionate in sharing my art with others and having people - adults & children ~ find their own creative self-expression!